The Constabulary, then intended as a “Force” rather than as considered today a “Service”, was formed as a local response, rather than calling out the Militia or Armed Services, to the potential unrest and rioting of workers during the Industrial Revolution.
This was principally as a result of the introduction of power looms in the many Flemish originated cloth mills of the Stroud valley’s as well as in the North Cotswold’s, where farm labourer’s were protesting about the use of threshing machines.
In 1919 retired officers from Gloucestershire gathered with others from around the country in London to create the then embryonic “NARPO”.
In 1922, the fourth Chief Constable, Major F. L. Stanley-Clarke OBE , formed an “Old Comrades Association” for local retiring Police Officers.
In September 1947 the Gloucestershire Branch of the National Association of Retired Police Officers was founded.
These two Associations continued until 1965 when the “Old Comrades Association” was disbanded.
Today the Gloucestershire Constabulary, its Police Federation and the NARPO Branch are custodians of that heritage.